I came up with this dish by throwing together random ingredients in my kitchen after watching Chopped.
The health benefits in this dish really come from the use of extra virgin olive oil and avocado to provide good fats, and chicken as a lean meat choice for protein. Tomatoes and basil give it that caprese flavor, and provide some rich antioxidants as well.
Using the avocado also means that, unlike a traditional caprese, you can have all of the smoothness and creaminess without adding dairy/cheese.
Easy, Quick and Yummy!
Ingredients (for 1 large serving or 2 small servings)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 ripe avocado
- About 30 Grape tomatoes
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Organic Brown Mustard
- Lemon juice
- Extra Vg. Olive Oil
- Basil (fresh leaves ok, but I like using the dried flakes)
- Salt, pepper
- 1 Medium and 1 Large Frying Pan
- About 10 minutes
- Divide 1 tbsp of olive oil between two pans and spread to coat surfaces
- Add about 1tbsp lemon juice, 1 and 1/2 tbsp balsamic to large pan
- Sprinkle a generous amount of basil (2 tbsp flakes, or 2 handfuls chopped leaves)
- Add grape tomatoes to large pan
- Set large pan on Medium-Low temperature to start cooking
- Add 1tbsp of the mustard to medium pan and turn on heat to high
- Cube, salt and pepper the chicken
- Add chicken to medium pan and brown on medium-high heat
- Tip: After 1 side browns, flip pieces and reduce heat
- While that cooks, add the avocado to the large pan and increase heat to med-high. Stir everything together. If you smell a sharp tinge suddenly, the balsamic is burning. Reduce heat to medium.
- Once chicken is cooked, add to the large pan and stir contents together. Let sit for a minute on low heat so the flavors can come together.